The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Sponsor: The Government of Canada
- $50,000 Per year (for 3 years)
November 2, 2016
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must…
- Be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- Be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
To apply for the 2017/2018 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, you’re required to not the following:
1. Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either
a. the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program; or
b. the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
- Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline (set in ResearchNet by the nominating institution) using the ResearchNet application system.
- The nominating institution performs the internal candidate selection process.
- The nominating institution forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by November 2, 2016 (20:00. Eastern Time).
- The Secretariat coordinates the review process.
- The Secretariat presents the recommendations to the Tri-Agency Programs (TAPs) steering committee.
- The TAPs steering committee endorses and approves final decisions for the Vanier CGS program.
- Successful candidates are notified of the competition results in April 2017.
- Click here for the application procedure.
Note that it’s important to read guidelines on application thoroughly before you apply.
For more information: Check Scholarship Official Page.
This is not an official announcement; it is based on the post format of ComsoyHub. So if you republish it on your site, please link to this post.
Sign up to get more scholarship updates.