The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by President of the United States Barack Obama as a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The need to invest in grooming strong, results-oriented leaders comes out of the statistics: nearly 1 in 3 Africans are between the ages of 10 and 24, and approximately 60% of Africa’s total population is below the age of 35. Who will empower and lead these young Africans? Who will shape the future of business and entrepreneurship, civic leadership, and public management? In order to answer these questions, YALI promotes three models designed to identify and empower young leaders: the YALI Mandela Washington Fellowship, YALI Network and now the establishment of Regional Leadership Centers across Africa.
The Emerging Leaders Program will teach young African leaders about modern leadership over a period of 17 weeks. The program will be broken down into four phases – a 5 week coursework phase delivered in-person in Accra, Ghana, or online and the remaining 12 weeks (back home) distributed equally among a mentorship program, internship or community service, and a report writing period. Focusing on the onsite 5 weeks coursework phase, it will entail three core courses (Leadership and Accountability, Ethics, and Contemporary issues affecting Africa) and one elective track that you select based on your goals, namely Business and Entrepreneurship, Civil Society Leadership and Public Service Management.
Sponsor: The Accra Regional Leadership Centre (RLC)
- Visa to Accra (if required)
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Accra, Ghana
- Transportation to/from kotoka International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra for all non-Ghanaian participants
- For Ghanaian, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra will be provided for from your location of residence
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan
- Housing and meals
- Stipend to cover miscellaneous costs when in Accra.
To be eligible for this fellowship, you must…
- Be 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission
- Be a citizen and resident of one of the following countries: Togo, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Cameroon and Sierra Leone
- Not be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Be eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana
- Be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English
To apply for the Young African Leadership Initiative Programme, you’re required to note the following:
- You must meet all the above requirements in order to be considered for this program.
- Click here to access the online application system
- For questions, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information: Check Fellowship Official Page
This is not an official announcement; it is based on the post format of ComsoyHub. So if you republish it on your site, please link to this post.
Sign up to get more fellowship updates.